Wednesday, September 14, 2011

last summer weekend??

Well, another week, come and gone.  I felt like I made a lot of progress at work as far as gaining some independence and making a plan for what I will be doing in the future.  In a couple of weeks the doctors are going to take turns going on vacation, so I'll be seeing some of their follow ups for real. This will be a good opportunity to practice doing a lot of things on my own, but I feel comfortable doing this b/c these will be patients that I've at least seen once before instead of just a random patient that I've never seen before and don't have any idea of whats going on.

For whatever reason, last week was sort of an off week for the Brewery, so Sean didn't work as much as he would have liked.  However, he's back full steam this week, so all is well I guess.

Last weekend was a beautiful weekend and we got a lot ton/ had a lot of fun.  We started off by having a pint at 
Mother Earth Friday night, made some dinner together and went to bed early b/c our alarms were set for early saturday morning.  We left our house about 6:15am Saturday and headed to Wilmington.  I signed up for a 2 mile open water ocean swim.along with 175 other people.  We swam from one pier to the next pier (aka, pier to pier swim) and it was SO SO SO much FUN!! big fun! the weather and water was gorgeous.  This was the most fun and relaxed that I've ever had/felt in an open water swim and I will definitely look for another one next year to do.  I swam it in 48minutes and 48 seconds.  Thats a bit faster than I can probably do.  There was a little pull to the current, but not much.  there were a lot of college swimmers there, so I was no where near the front, but I did get 4th in my age group, but I consider good.
after that, since we were in wilmington, we decide to check out the city.  We visited the USS North Carolina Battleship, which is an old battleship that was used in the 40's and is now retired and open to the public for tour.  the boat is HUGE!! We were on it for about 2 hours and did a TON of walking and stair climbing down a ton of small spaces and steep stairs.  I swear I was way more tired from that than from the swim.  you had to be in good shape, just to live on the boat. haha.
by the end of that, were were starving, so we went to downtown wilmington to Front Street Brewery and had some good beer and a great lunch outside on the sidewalk.  It was so nice outside and yummy food.  We then wandered down the street a bit, where luck would have it, we found a nice italian coffee shoppe.  Sean was in love with the coffee and I was in love with the cinnamon gellato. yum!  Since I was still a bit salty from the swim and still had my race number tatooed on my arm, we headed home to clean up.  Since we ate lunch so late, we weren't all that hungry, so we decided to go to the Chef and the farmer for some wine and beer tastings and some delicious appetizers.  Obviously, we were exhausted by the end of the night, but we had a blast!  Sunday was filled with catching up around the house: laundry, cleaning, yardwork, etc. along with a bikeride with Sean and of course, the sad sad steelers game. so it was a pretty productive weekend.

oh yeah, and I got my arm twisted or maybe got just the right nudge to sign up for an IRONMAN!  OMG!! so yeah, pretty exciting stuff.  I'll be training (virtually) with my old training buddy and good friend (Kristin Bednarski) for Ironman Louisville which is next August, 26, 2012. I'm not going to try to train to go super fast, just train enough to finish and let it be enjoyable... hopefully somewhat. for those of you not familiar with an ironman. its a triathlon consisting of 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and 26.2 mile run. woo!!!

Of other big news, Sean and I bought out the airlines.. ok, not really but we did book tickets to Ann Skerkoskis wedding in Cleveland and tickets to Portland to visit Seans sister and bro in law and their kids.. We are super pumped!  Our weekends are quickly booking up for the fall.  Next up is a Century (100 mile) bike ride I signed up for and also a visit from Mike Maloney! yeah!  I think soon after that, Sean is trying to organize a camping trip with he buddies from KY to meet halfway and camp in the mountains.. Its a Mancation I believe us what they are calling it. Either way, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!

We are still loving it here in NC.  I cant imagine why anyone would want to live farther north than here.. the weather is awesome!!

Sorry I didn't add any pics. I added so many on facebook that I didn't want to be redundant.  Be sure to check out the pics from this weekend tho on my FB account!!

No comments:

Post a Comment