Well, just to keep everyone up to speed, I thought I'd keep everyone posted on the extremely NOT awesome news I got today. I DID get my NC PA license! WOO HOO!! However, b/c PA's in NC can prescribe controlled substances, I have to go through the DEA to get a DEA license # to prescribe. The hospital's policy is that they typically won't credential staff until they have both a state medical and DEA license. Now I don't know if this is just protocol to cover their asses in case of getting sued, or if its just something that they have always done. However, until I get credentialed, I can't do the new employee orientation, or start working. Literally 5 minutes after I was issued my PA license I applied for my DEA. Bad news is that the DEA license takes 4-6 weeks. Since credentialing takes 2-3 weeks and can't be done until I have a DEA, we are looking at 6-9 weeks before I can start working.
I'm upset, mad, irritated, frustrated, pissed, annoyed. I want to cry and also punch someone in the face. The thing that irritates me the most is that I've had everything done on my part since June, and I am being held up by the fact that UK PA program decided to hold my status as student until I "technically" graduated, which was Aug. 4th. However all of the other students who decided to stay in state were given a program completion date of June 17th and have been able to work since they took their boards.
Theres not a lot I can do right now about this. I am going to appeal (with the help of the office manager at the Ortho Clinic) to the Committee Chairman to see if I can go through credentialing without my DEA. I'm not exactly sure why I can't just practice, but not prescribe until my DEA comes through. It's not like I'm really doing to be practicing for the first 2 months anyway since I'll really just be learning the system, doctor, etc, basically training. GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! extra prayers and fingers crossed that they let me do this, but its not for sure. The worst they can say is no, which doesn't put me any further behind where I am now.
Aside from the fact that I'm going nuts just sitting around here, money is going to be pretty tight soon. We were really counting on the fact that I would be able to start working in August (not October).
So thats the update. No orientation Monday, no 1st day of work, nothing. :-(
On a happier note, I got passed off as a high school student today, and then once I confessed that I was not in high school (AKA of legal age to date if you are an old man) was asked if I was single and looking to date b/c said old man was divorced and looking. AWESOME!!! NOT. LOL
I also completed my first ever cycling time trial last night! It was a lot more effort than I have put in in a long time, but it was fun to get my competitive side out again. The club has a 20.20 mark they set (20 miles at 20 mph or better) I just made it last night at 20 miles at 20.3 mph. I know this is not that fast considering its pancake flat around here, but I gave myself a pat on the back for it anyway. lol.
We're still on the fence about the beach this weekend. The weather is a toss up b/c of tropical storm/hurricane Emily. There's basically a 50% chance of storms all day, all weekend, so who knows. If it decides to storm, we may make a trip to Raleigh to check it out, or lay low. either will be nice since Sean worked overtime this weekend and I'm sure is just beat. (actually I know he is).
I took some pictures of the house with our stuff in it, so I hope to load those up this weekend. Have a great weekend everyone!
THUMPS UP!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThat's terrible about the DEA# and credentialing stuff. I had no idea the held your "finish date". That's ridiculous and unacceptable. I hope your appeal goes through! Good luck!
ReplyDelete